The IPU has put together these 5 Top Tips for the Winter season
- Get the Flu Vaccine – Get the flu vaccination from your local pharmacist. This prevents getting the flu, which has severe symptoms and can last up to two weeks.
- Wash your Hands – Wash your hands regularly to eliminate the spread of germs. Use warm water and soap and wash your hands for at least 20 seconds. Rinse well and dry your hands with a clean or disposable towel.
- Keep a Healthy Lifestyle – Getting adequate sleep, good nutrition and physical exercise can help ensure your immune system is in good condition and ready to fight infection if it occurs.
- Control Stress – People experiencing stress tend to have weakened immune systems and are more likely to catch a cold. Try and keep calm, factor in relaxation time and don’t let the Christmas preparations get on top of you.
- Treat Cold and Flu Appropriately – The common cold and sore throats are generally caused by viruses and will ultimately clear up on their own; antibiotics are not effective against them. Your local pharmacist can advise on appropriate medications to relieve your symptoms.
For further advice, Ask Your Pharmacist First.